Sunday, July 7, 2013

Gyges and Kandaules

RE: Herodotus, Histories I.7-14

Without classes during the summer, I have had less material inspiring me to draw cartoons lately. But I have been doing some independent study reading Herodotus in Greek. I've just gotten to reading the tale of Gyges, which always seems pretty funny to me. I think it would make a good comedy sketch for people who know the story. But, for the nonce, here's a cartoon of that story. 

For those who don't know the story: The uxorious Lydian King Kandaules keeps bragging on how his wife is the most beautiful woman in the world to his counselor Gyges. Convinced that Gyges will only believe him if he sees for himself, Kandaules arranges for Gyges (over Gyges' objections) to spy on his wife so he can see her naked. But Kandaules' wife sees Gyges and knows of her husband's involvement. So, she later calls Gyges to her and gives him a choice: kill Kandaules, marry her, and become the new king OR she'll get Kandaules to kill him. He chooses the former option and his descendents rule Lydia down to the days of Croesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment